This is a very key verse in the book of Job. This passage describes the character of Job in-depth.
Back in Job 1:1 we see that he was a righteous man who was “upright and feared God.”
In Job 31 we see by the actions of this man that this was true. He was always upright and fair in regard to his fellow man:
- Job did not walk with vanity or deceit;
- He did not look lustfully upon another with his eyes;
- He considered and listened to the plight of his servants;
- He did not withhold from the poor or the needy;
- He helped widows and the fatherless;
- He did not do or even wish badly toward his neighbor;
- He gave lodging to strangers and the homeless;
- He cleansed himself and confessed his iniquities before God.
This passage is also a wonderful example to us of how to conduct our lives toward God and man.